By Christian Jarrett
Great Myths of the Brain introduces readers to the sphere of neuroscience through interpreting well known myths in regards to the human brain.
- Explores commonly-held myths of the mind during the lens of clinical study, backing up claims with reports and different proof from the literature
- Looks at enduring myths reminiscent of “Do we basically use 10% of our brain?”, “Pregnant girls lose their mind”, “Right-brained individuals are extra artistic” and lots of more.
- Delves into myths on the subject of particular mind issues, together with epilepsy, autism, dementia, and others
- Written engagingly and accessibly for college students and lay readers alike, delivering a special creation to the learn of the brain
- Teaches readers tips to spot neuro hype and neuro-nonsense claims within the media
Quick preview of Great Myths of the Brain (Great Myths of Psychology) PDF
Similar Biology books
You're simply 10% human. for each one of many cells that make up the vessel that you just name your physique, there are 9 impostor cells hitching a trip. you're not simply flesh and blood, muscle and bone, mind and epidermis, but additionally micro organism and fungi. Over your lifetime, you are going to hold the an identical weight of 5 African elephants in microbes.
“Big questions are Gazzaniga’s inventory in exchange. ”—New York Times“Gazzaniga is without doubt one of the so much fabulous experimental neuroscientists on the earth. ”—Tom Wolfe“Gazzaniga stands as a huge between neuroscientists, for either the standard of his learn and his skill to speak it to a normal public with infectious enthusiasm.
There are many very good reports on fragment-based drug discovery (FBDD), yet there are to this point no hand-holding courses or protocols with which you will embark in this orthogonal method of supplement conventional excessive throughput screening methodologies. This equipment in Enzymology quantity deals the instruments, sensible methods, and hit-to-lead examples on find out how to behavior FBDD displays.
• A long island Times Notable booklet •“The richest, most up to date, most enjoyable e-book on genetics in your time. ” —The ny occasions booklet assessment we're doomed to copy historical past if we fail to benefit from it, yet how are we tormented by the forces which are invisible to us? within the Invisible historical past of the Human Race Christine Kenneally attracts on state of the art examine to bare how either historic artifacts and DNA let us know the place we come from and the place we can be going.
- Cengage Advantage Books: Bioethics in a Cultural Context: Philosophy, Religion, History, Politics
- Keeping Bees in Towns and Cities
- The Oxford Handbook of the History of Eugenics
- iGenetics: A Molecular Approach Plus MasteringGenetics with eText -- Access Card Package (3rd Edition)
Additional resources for Great Myths of the Brain (Great Myths of Psychology)
Seymour, B. , O'Doherty, J. P. , Stephan, okay. E. , Dolan, R. J. , & Frith, C. D. (2006). Empathic neural responses are modulated by way of the perceived equity of others. Nature, 439(7075), 466–469. forty four Ingalhalikar, M. , Smith, A. , Parker, D. , Satterthwaite, T. D. , Elliott, M. A. , Ruparel, okay. , … & Verma, R. (2014). intercourse alterations within the structural connectome of the human mind. complaints of the nationwide Academy of Sciences, 111(2), 823–828. forty five http://figshare. com/articles/Illustrative_effect_sizes_for_sex_differences/866802 (accessed may possibly 15, 2014). forty six Strick, P. L. , Dum, R. P. , & Fiez, J. A. (2009). Cerebellum and nonmotor functionality. Annual evaluate of Neuroscience, 32, 413–434. forty seven http://tinyurl. com/cydgvbd (accessed may perhaps 15, 2014). forty eight Blanton, R. E. , Levitt, J. G. , Peterson, J. R. , Fadale, D. , Sporty, M. L. , Lee, M. , … & Toga, A. W. (2004). Gender ameliorations within the left inferior frontal gyrus in basic childrens. Neuroimage, 22(2), 626–636. forty nine Sax, L. (2007). Why Gender concerns: What mom and dad and academics want to know concerning the rising technological know-how of intercourse changes. Random condo electronic. 50 Killgore, W. D. , Oki, M. , & Yurgelun-Todd, D. A. (2001). Sex-specific developmental alterations in amygdala responses to affective faces. Neuroreport, 12(2), 427–433. fifty one Pahlke, E. , Hyde, J. S. , & Allison, C. M. (2014). the results of Single-Sex in comparison With Coeducational education on scholars' functionality and Attitudes: A Meta-Analysis. mental Bulletin. doi: 10. 1037/a0035740. fifty two Witelson, S. F. , Beresh, H. , & Kigar, D. L. (2006). Intelligence and mind dimension in a hundred postmortem brains: intercourse, lateralization and age elements. mind, 129(2), 386–398. fifty three Pakkenberg, B. , & Gundersen, H. J. G. (1997). Neocortical neuron quantity in people: impact of intercourse and age. magazine of Comparative Neurology, 384(2), 312–320. fifty four Cahill, L. (2006). Why intercourse concerns for neuroscience. Nature studies Neuroscience, 7(6), 477–484. fifty five Allen, J. S. , Damasio, H. , Grabowski, T. J. , Bruss, J. , & Zhang, W. (2003). Sexual dimorphism and asymmetries within the gray–white composition of the human cerebrum. Neuroimage, 18(4), 880–894. fifty six Voyer, D. , Voyer, S. , & Bryden, M. P. (1995). importance of intercourse adjustments in spatial talents: A meta-analysis and attention of serious variables. mental Bulletin, 117(2), 250. fifty seven Vrticka, P. , Neely, M. , Walter Shelly, E. , Black, J. M. , & Reiss, A. L. (2013). intercourse ameliorations in the course of humor appreciation in child-sibling pairs. Social Neuroscience 8(4), 291–304. fifty eight Zhang, S. , Schmader, T. , & corridor, W. M. (2013). L'eggo my ego: lowering the gender hole in math via unlinking the self from functionality. Self and id, 12(4), 400–412. fifty nine Nosek, B. A. , Smyth, F. L. , Sriram, N. , Lindner, N. M. , Devos, T. , Ayala, A. , … & Greenwald, A. G. (2009). nationwide modifications in gender–science stereotypes are expecting nationwide intercourse modifications in technological know-how and math success. complaints of the nationwide Academy of Sciences, 106(26), 10593–10597. 60 Morton, T. A. , Postmes, T. , Haslam, S. A. , & Hornsey, M. J. (2009). Theorizing gender within the face of social switch: Is there whatever crucial approximately essentialism?